The Post Holder will be required to:
- Provide planned, individualized and acute holistic care to all patients in the Interventional Radiology & CT
- Work as part of the multidisciplinary team to meet patient’s needs. Facilitate co-ordination, co-operation and liaison across multi-disciplinary teams and programmes.
- Involve the patient and their relatives in the delivery of patient care in preparation for admission, transfer or discharge from the unit. Co-ordinate admission and discharge procedures for patients.
- Provide a high level of professional and clinical leadership.
- Adhere to and ensure implementation of professional guidance and all policies/ guidelines/ protocols as outlined by the HSE NE, e.g. Infection Control Policy, Hygiene standards, Data Protection Act, Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Exercise high levels of judgment, discretion and decision making, taking responsibility for those decisions.
- Develop nurse led initiatives and developments that will enhance the quality of patient care in Interventional Radiology & CT
- Plan and manage patient care to ensure the highest professional standards using evidence based patient focused approach.
- Participate in the formulation, development and the evaluation of policies, guidelines and protocols to enhance a quality service in the Interventional Radiology & CT
- Ensure correct and accurate completion of records.
- Manage and promote community liaison to promote continuity of care for patients attending Interventional Radiology & CT
- Manage the nursing team efficiently, prepare weekly duty rosters, ensuring nursing teams have appropriate skill mix to meet clinical workload requirements and provide a high standard of care.
- Lead and implement change and developments to improve the quality of the service in liaison with the multidisciplinary team within the Interventional Radiology & CT Department, and liaise/attend meetings as appropriate within the HSE.
- Maintain effective communication with the multidisciplinary team within the Interventional Radiology & CT Department, and liaise/ attend meetings as appropriate within the HSE.
- Formulate, implement and evaluate service plans and budgets in co-operation with multi-disciplinary team.
- Implement, maintain and evaluate quality processes and standards in relation to patient management and bed usage, etc.
- Participate in clinical audit to improve the quality of patient care and manage risks.
- Investigate complaints fully in partnership with clinicians and provide comprehensive reports with action plans to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.
- Manage all resources efficiently and effectively within the clinical area, utilizing equipment appropriately, while also ensuring that it is maintained and serviced at regular intervals.
- Ensure that effective safety procedures are developed, reviewed and managed to comply with statutory obligations, such as the requirements under the Health and Safety Act, in conjunction with relevant staff.
- Report and investigate incidents and accidents and manage as per Incident Reporting Policy and Risk Management policy.
- Participate in data collection for statistical analysis when necessary.
- Promote the development of clinical and administrative computerization and effective records systems in liaison with ward clerk and medical record staff.
- Oversee and review admission and discharge administration procedures required for continuity of patient care e.g. typed discharge letter, procedure information leaflets, etc.
- To implement new initiatives where possible to run a cost effective, timely service demonstrating specialist knowledge and high standards of nursing care whilst working with available resources
- Participate in hospital committees as required and attend and contribute to interdepartmental and other meetings.
- Participate in the Nursing Administration structure, deputizing or acting up if and when required.
- Exercise a defined role in the personnel function.
- Promote, nurture and maintain a high level of staff morale, promoting team spirit and job satisfaction. Support development of Team Based performance Management.
- Supervise and support the professional duties of all grades of nursing and attendant staff to ensure a high standard of patient care.
- Supervise and assess student nurses and foster a clinical learning environment
- Participate in the development of staff orientation and induction training programme for nursing and non-nursing staff.
- Ensure all staff practice within the Code of Conduct and Scope of Professional Practice as directed by An Bord Altranais.
- Monitor staff performance and support Personal Development Planning.
- Participate in identification, development and delivery of education, training and development programmes for nursing staff and support staff in liaison with appropriate departments.
- Monitor standards of behaviour and take management action as appropriate to include conflict management, grievance, discipline, absenteeism, etc. in accordance with Hospital and Health Service Executive Policy.
- Manage attendance in line with HSE Attendance Management Policy.
- Supervise the role of non-nursing staff and ensure high standards are maintained.
Professional and Self Development
- Maintain, update and develop knowledge on relevant professional matters.
- Promote and participate in nursing research/evidence based practice and encourage its application in the delivery of patient care within the clinical area.
- Provide leadership on the provision of Nursing and other service key performance indicators, e.g. Nursing Metrics and clinical and non-clinical audit activity, within the nursing team.
Health & Safety
- Comply with the policies, procedures and safe professional practice of the Irish Healthcare System by adhering to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Document appropriately and report any near misses, hazards and accidents and bring them to the attention of relevant / designated individual(s) in line with best practice.
- Work in a safe manner with due care and attention to the safety of self and others.
- Be aware of risk management issues, identify risks and take appropriate action.
- Comply with department procedures with regard to assessment, recommendation and / or manufacturing of all assistive devices.
- Promote a culture that values diversity and respect
The post holder may be required to perform any other such duties appropriate to the post as assigned from time to time by the Director of Nursing or any such other Officer appointed by the Executive.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him / her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.